Smart Radio and Squeezebox software upgradability
mherger
2013-06-24 18:08:57 UTC
Hello music streaming fans:

When we introduced the Logitech UE Smart Radio last fall we received a
lot of positive feedback on the simplicity of the new experience. For
those music lovers who seek a great sounding, yet compact, radio to
access their favorite Internet radio stations and music services, the
Logitech UE Smart Radio definitely hit a sweet spot.

A few months back – in the countries where we distribute Logitech UE
Smart Radio – we gave Squeezebox Radio users the option to switch their
Squeezebox Radios to the Logitech UE Smart Radio platform. Shortly
after, we received feedback from some users that the Logitech UE Smart
Radio platform didn’t support all the advanced functionality of the
Squeezebox platform they were used to.

To address this, starting today we now offer the option to switch
Logitech UE Smart Radio software to Squeezebox. By doing so, our
Squeezebox fans can now take advantage of the improved portability of
the Logitech UE Smart Radio, while still enjoying the Squeezebox
features they appreciate.

To initiate the transition, simply navigate to the advanced settings on
your Logitech UE Smart Radio and scroll down to select “Switch to
Squeezebox.”

In order to ensure our customers transition to the experience that best
fits their needs, both update paths include a link to descriptions of
the pros and cons of each transition. Please make sure you review these
carefully before proceeding, but know you can always revert back to the
Logitech UE Smart Radio platform anytime you’d like.

Cheers, and happy streaming!

The Logitech UE SmartRadio / Squeezebox team

mherger's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=50
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Paul Webster
2013-06-25 03:26:17 UTC
Welcome news for lots of people here.

> both update paths include a link to descriptions of the pros and cons of
> each transition
Can you provide links to these?

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
Paul Webster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=105
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2013-06-25 03:57:35 UTC
>> both update paths include a link to descriptions of the pros and cons of
>> each transition
>
> Can you provide links to these?

UE Smart Radio -> SB Radio:
http://www.uesmartradio.com/public/migration

SB Radio -> UE Smart Radio:
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/player/migration

Michael
erland
2013-06-25 06:03:55 UTC
mherger wrote:

> To address this, starting today we now offer the option to switch
> Logitech UE Smart Radio software to Squeezebox. By doing so, our
> Squeezebox fans can now take advantage of the improved portability of
> the Logitech UE Smart Radio, while still enjoying the Squeezebox
> features they appreciate.

Great news!

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream - A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
niekobaarda
2013-07-07 22:28:09 UTC
Thats is very good news.
Thanks.
Squeezebox is the best digital audio solution.

niekobaarda's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=58540
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Ikabob
2013-07-08 01:52:19 UTC
niekobaarda wrote:
> Thats is very good news.
> Thanks.
> Squeezebox is the best digital audio solution.

Yes, Squeezebox IS the best! And I think this IS good news. I think it
tells me that the SQUEEZEBOX functionality is valued and appreciated by
LOGITECH and it will be supported.

Now, Michael, is there any hope that a Touch-like Squeezebox and/or a
Boom-like Squeezebox device might be coming? or are these new
revelations completely unrelated?

A return of the Touch and the Boom with UE simplicity yet with the
option of SQUEEZEBOX functionality would be very popular and very
marketable. IMHO. The Squeezebox to me is the greatest entertainment
device since the television. IMHO

So Michael, can you push and promote to the powers-that-be the return to
a Touch and Boom???

Thank you ! It is good news.

Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS;Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE
Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various
additional speakers).
Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
Services:Slacker;Sky.com; MOG;
Sirius.com;
Ipeng remote controller.
Ikabob's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=32088
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
erland
2013-07-08 19:34:11 UTC
Ikabob wrote:

> Now, Michael, is there any hope that a Touch-like Squeezebox and/or a
> Boom-like Squeezebox device might be coming? or are these new
> revelations completely unrelated?
>
> A return of the Touch and the Boom with UE simplicity yet with the
> option of SQUEEZEBOX advanced functionality would be very popular and
> very marketable. IMHO. The Squeezebox ecosystem (Squeeze,ipeng,music
> services, etc.) to me is the greatest entertainment device since the
> television. IMHO

Logitech generally don't comment their plans on future products.

It's really great that they made it possible to convert UE Smart Radio
to Squeezebox, but I personally don't think you should read too much out
of it regarding possible future products.

Time will tell if they are working on something new, but if they do, I
doubt they are going to release something that means that they need to
maintain and support two platforms. They probably want to try to get rid
of one or both of the existing platforms, this is the only alternative
that makes sense from an economical perspective as it will likely
decrease their maintenance and support costs significantly.

Ikabob
2013-07-09 02:22:37 UTC
Erland,

Thank you for your informed opinion.
It does seem to be a step in the right direction for Squeezebox lovers.

nickey
2013-07-11 10:30:39 UTC
Wow...great news...good business move and thanks to all who made this
possible. I guess that means you mherger!

I hope this will encourage sales and availability of the radio hardware
and more generally mean that mysqueezebox.com will keep going as long as
we need it.

Next good marketing move: lower the price of the radio and I will buy
more!

nickey's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=55348
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
P Nelson
2013-07-27 20:11:23 UTC
I had the white screen problem with my SB radio. As it is under
warranty they replaced it with a UE Smart Radio.
I followed the instructions to convert it to a SB radio and the process
does not work. They are sending me yet another replacement as they
think the unit is defective.

Does this mean they have quality control problems?

Will keep you posts. I might try and do the more complex process for
conversion mentioned in the forums. If I mess up the radio, no problem
as they are sending me another one.

Paul

P Nelson's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=58158
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
alexboy
2014-01-05 09:48:20 UTC
Nitai Gaura Haribol

alexboy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62304
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
pippin
2013-07-27 22:18:37 UTC
Which server version do you have. With new Radios (both SB and UE) it
_has_ to be 7.7.2 or newer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
*New: Logitech UE Smart Radio* as well as iPeng Party, the free
Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
P Nelson
2013-07-28 18:12:06 UTC
pippin wrote:
> Which server version do you have. With new Radios (both SB and UE) it
> _has_ to be 7.7.2 or newer.
>

> Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I just got the UE Smart Radio from Logitech last week. The about menu
on the radio says 10.0.0. r16857.

I am not sure what you mean by server verison. On the SB Touch I am
running 7.7.2.

What is strange is the UE radio can see my other SB radio and SB Touch.
It even sees tiny LMS on the touch, and I can see named of all the music
on the Touch. However, so sound plays and it behaves like it cannot
find the file.

I was trying to switch to SB firmware using th new menu option, but it
does not complete the conversion and stays a UE radio.

pippin
2013-07-30 09:16:53 UTC
If you can see the other SBs on the Radio itself, the it did convert
successfully.
Or where do you mean you "see" the other players?

---
jonathan.ibell
2013-07-30 12:40:15 UTC
Hi there

I have upgraded my recently purchased UE Smart Radio to the Squeezebox
software, but have hit a couple of significant problems with this:

1. If I turn the radio off (ie, hold the power button in), when it
re-boots, it has reverted back to the UE Smart Radio software. Only if I
hold in the rewind button does it properly into the Squeezebox software.
While I can't imagine this is going to be a significant problem going
forwards (given I won't tend to turn it off), I'm confused and a bit
worried by this.

2. The more pressing concern is that I cannot actually play items from
my Logitech Media Server library. I can -see- everything in the "My
Music" library, but when I select an individual track the circle thing
just turns and turns. I also note that I can't see the Spotify plugin
under "My Apps" - this is the Triode plugin (not the "official" one).
Weirdly, for a short period of time (five mins or so) I -was- able to
play audio from both the Media Server library and Spotify (via the
Triode plugin), though I neither know what I did prior to this to get it
working or what changed to stop it.

Further, my two Squeezebox Duets did something weird after I'd tried to
get this UE Radio working with the Media Server; they too could "see"
the audio files but just not play them. I've sorted one of them out by
resetting it to defaults. I note that none of them (neither the Duets or
the UE Radio) were visible in the Media Server web interface; now the
one I've sorted out is visble, but the other two remain AWOL.

Is someone able to shed some light as to where I may have gone wrong? Is
there something that specifically needs to be done to finish setting up
the UE Radio with the Squeezebox software? I have tried numerous factory
setting resets etc and have had no luck thus far. I note that a poster
above appears to be reporting a similar problem, but am not sure if it
is the same.

I am using v 7.7.2 of the Media Server software; if it's relelvant, this
is running on a ReadyNAS Duo 2 (which has been pretty much perfect since
installation - more reliable than on the previously used Mac Mini).

Many thanks for any ideas.

Cheers
Jonathan

jonathan.ibell's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38948
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
toby10
2013-07-30 15:06:43 UTC
Is your Spotify working now (as is your Pandora from your other thread)
after you correctly re-authorized your Radio with your online account?
Are you in a Spotify allowed region? Proper Spotify Premium account?

Your other thread suggests you are trying to manage your Radio via
UESmartRadio.com. You can't use that if your Radio is now using the
SqueezeBox firmware, you now must access via MySqueezeBox.com online for
account management (like adding Apps).

Tried rebooting LMS and your router? Sure your correct MySB.com login
info is entered on LMS > Settings > MySqueezeBox.com? Any mention of
"invalid" on that page?

If you go to LMS > Control Panel > Diagnostics, what is reported for ALL
pings, ports, IP's?

toby10's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12553
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
jonathan.ibell
2013-07-30 18:38:50 UTC
toby10 wrote:
> Is your Spotify working now (as is your Pandora from your other thread)
> after you correctly re-authorized your Radio with your online account?
> Are you in a Spotify allowed region? Proper Spotify Premium account?
>
> Your other thread suggests you are trying to manage your Radio via
> UESmartRadio.com. You can't use that if your Radio is now using the
> SqueezeBox firmware, you now must access via MySqueezeBox.com online for
> account management (like adding Apps).
>
> Tried rebooting LMS and your router? Sure your correct MySB.com login
> info is entered on LMS > Settings > MySqueezeBox.com? Any mention of
> "invalid" on that page?
>
> If you go to LMS > Control Panel > Diagnostics, what is reported for ALL
> pings, ports, IP's?

I'm not sure if this is aimed at my issues (seems not given the
references to the other threads), but how does one re-authorise the
Radio with one's on-line account? (and I'm assuming this is the
Squeezebox online account rather than UE Radio).

Thanks

toby10
2013-07-30 19:02:20 UTC
Guess it's a different poster in the other thread. That was Johnana not
Jonathan. :)

Was Spotify working before? Did you Factory Reset the Radio after you
"upgraded" from UE to SqueezeBox firmware? Tried the other suggested
troubleshooting tips?

jonathan.ibell
2013-07-31 00:00:03 UTC
toby10 wrote:
> Guess it's a different poster in the other thread. That was Johnana not
> Jonathan. :)
>
> Was Spotify working before? Did you Factory Reset the Radio after you
> "upgraded" from UE to SqueezeBox firmware? Tried the other suggested
> troubleshooting tips?

Maybe Johanna is my doppelganger??!!

No, Spotify was not working on the Radio (but works perfectly via the
Triode plugin on our two Duets) - I see others have reported the same
problem, but the solution to that has been...

Now I have managed to find the source of the main problem - ie music on
Logitech Media Server not playing. Essentially, I didn't have the option
in the menu to select the "player" (which I thought was strange).
However, when I rebooted the Radio, holding down the RW key to ensure it
booted into the Squeeezebox firmware, this menu turned up (but then
disappears after a while). The "player" menu at this point gave me the
choice of the Radio, and then to select the library - ueradio.com
(sorry, don't know correct address as am at work) or "NAS music" (my LMS
library). The latter option gave me full access to the LMS library and
the Triode Spotify app, therefore the Radio is now a fully-functioning
Squeezebox!

I'm confused why the "player" menu disappears each time after initially
being visible, but at least I know how to get past this.

CAN ANYONE, THOUGH, EXPLAIN WHY THE RADIO BOOTS BACK INTO THE STANDARD
UE FIRMWARE IF I DON'T HOLD DOWN THE RW BUTTON? IS THIS HOW IT'S
SUPPOSED TO BE OR IS MINE ACTING UP? IF THE LATTER, IS THERE ANYTHING I
CAN DO TO SET THE SQUEEZEBOX FIRMWARE AS THE DEFAULT?

Many thanks

jonathan.ibell
2013-08-29 00:29:04 UTC
jonathan.ibell wrote:
> Maybe Johanna is my doppelganger??!!
>
> No, Spotify was not working on the Radio (but works perfectly via the
> Triode plugin on our two Duets) - I see others have reported the same
> problem, but the solution to that has been...
>
> Now I have managed to find the source of the main problem - ie music on
> Logitech Media Server not playing. Essentially, I didn't have the option
> in the menu to select the "player" (which I thought was strange).
> However, when I rebooted the Radio, holding down the RW key to ensure it
> booted into the Squeeezebox firmware, this menu turned up (but then
> disappears after a while). The "player" menu at this point gave me the
> choice of the Radio, and then to select the library - ueradio.com
> (sorry, don't know correct address as am at work) or "NAS music" (my LMS
> library). The latter option gave me full access to the LMS library and
> the Triode Spotify app, therefore the Radio is now a fully-functioning
> Squeezebox!
>
> I'm confused why the "player" menu disappears each time after initially
> being visible, but at least I know how to get past this.
>
> CAN ANYONE, THOUGH, EXPLAIN WHY THE RADIO BOOTS BACK INTO THE STANDARD
> UE FIRMWARE IF I DON'T HOLD DOWN THE RW BUTTON? IS THIS HOW IT'S
> SUPPOSED TO BE OR IS MINE ACTING UP? IF THE LATTER, IS THERE ANYTHING I
> CAN DO TO SET THE SQUEEZEBOX FIRMWARE AS THE DEFAULT?
>
> Many thanks
> Jonathan

Well, I've had no luck getting to the bottom of this. While it's
generally been working ok (as long as it's not turned off fully, or if
there are issues with my wider Squeezebox setup, which have
unfortunately been frequent this week!), I still wasn't happy with
having what is clearly a unit that's not functioning as it should.

I rang Logitech this morning and their answer is to replace the unit,
which I'm in the middle of arranging with the shop I bought it from.

There's no way that I'm not going to upgrade the replacement to the
Squeezebox firmware, given the ease of integration with our existing
Squeezeboxes and that we're running the Logitech Media Server on a NAS
for that's not supported by the UE software, plus that Spotify works
perfectly (whereas I was getting that common error message when
attempting to play Spotify files via the UE firmware). So, are there any
tips that I should follow when upgrading to hopefully avoid the same
problems I encountered the first time around? Clearly upgrade to the
most recent UE firmware is a given, but can anyone offer any other
advice?

Many thanks...

mctubster
2013-09-08 08:09:33 UTC
Adding a data point to the thread.

Just bought a UE Smart Radio (because I knew I could upgrade it back to
the Radio FW).

On first power on, added to wireless and it successfully upgraded to (I
assume) the latest UE firmware.

I then selected the firmware swap (to Squeezebox Radio) in the advanced
menu.

It started downloading, but randomly kept failing at various points of
the download.

I then moved the UE Smart Radio to be close to my router, and then next
update attempt worked.

So perhaps if you are having issues, try moving closer to your wireless
router / access point or even better plug into a wired ethernet
connection.

Cheers

mctubster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=353
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
nervoteso
2013-10-15 09:27:06 UTC
hi,

i would like to but a smart radio and downgrade it to squeezebox (to
link to other sb devices), is it easy and sure to do that? are there any
issues?
thanks

Touchx3,Boomx2,1 radio, 1 classic!Squeezebox Server 7.7.2 (Qnap ts-119)
nervoteso's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30262
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2013-10-15 09:32:08 UTC
> i would like to but a smart radio and downgrade it to squeezebox (to
> link to other sb devices), is it easy and sure to do that? are there any
> issues?

It's selecting a menu item (Settings/Advanced/Migrate), confirm a few
screens and sit out the installation of the new firmware. Shouldn't take
you more than 5-10 minutes.

Michael
RonM
2013-10-16 18:36:14 UTC
mherger wrote:

> It's selecting a menu item (Settings/Advanced/Migrate), confirm a few
> screens and sit out the installation of the new firmware. Shouldn't take
>
> you more than 5-10 minutes.
>
> --
>
> Michael

I'd known this was possible and not difficult, but this is excellent
confirmation. I've ordered one at the sale price from Amazon US (not on
the Canadian site, where I live), but even with shipping and import
costs it is half the price as offered on Canadian Amazon. An especially
good deal, since it appears to include a battery, unlike the original
Radio.

Ron

RonM's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17029
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
lemmy999
2013-10-29 23:54:22 UTC
Actually it isn't quite as easy as it is made out to be. It is
actually

Settings -> Advanced -> Switch to Squeezebox

Then you are presented with options to "Cancel" "Free Your Music" or
"Update Manually"

Cancel does what you would expect, but the other two options result in
"Failed to register your player for migration. Please try again!"

No matter how many times I try I get the same result. Then if I ever
back out of the menu completely, it won't go back in to the "Switch the
Squeezebox" unless I do a factory reset. My wireless signal strength is
93% and it successfully updated the UE firmware when I first plugged it
in.

lemmy999's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9284
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
P Nelson
2013-11-01 05:47:16 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > i would like to but a smart radio and downgrade it to squeezebox (to
> > link to other sb devices), is it easy and sure to do that? are there
> any
> > issues?
>
> It's selecting a menu item (Settings/Advanced/Migrate), confirm a few
> screens and sit out the installation of the new firmware. Shouldn't take
>
> you more than 5-10 minutes.
>
> --
>
> Michael

If it was only that easy. I have been trying to convert a UE Smart
Radio to a SB radio for over three months without success. Logitech
has sent me three replacements as they suspected hardware problems. The
latest replacement has also failed to convert. The trouble ticket has
been open for a month and I am still waiting for a resolution from
Logitech. Earlier this week, they asked me who is my Internet
provider.

The convertion works for some people, but I have no idea why it won't
work for me.

Michael Herger
2013-11-01 05:53:06 UTC
> Logitech. Earlier this week, they asked me who is my Internet
> provider.

Great! Who is it?

Did you try the new method outlined here:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-UE/Stuck-at-Smart-Radio-firmware-10-0-0-Please-read-this/td-p/1111291

There is an issue known to prevent ATT/Uverse users from updating. But
with the method described in that article it should work. As you can see
from the first response it's too new for support to know it :-).

Michael
P Nelson
2013-11-02 06:58:27 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > Logitech. Earlier this week, they asked me who is my Internet
> > provider.
>
> Great! Who is it?
>
> Did you try the new method outlined here:
> http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-UE/Stuck-at-Smart-Radio-firmware-10-0-0-Please-read-this/td-p/1111291
>
> There is an issue known to prevent ATT/Uverse users from updating. But
>
> with the method described in that article it should work. As you can see
>
> from the first response it's too new for support to know it :-).
>
> --
>
> Michael

My provider is DSLExtreme which is resold Verizon.

Your link gave me the instructions for a successful update. There were
new menu options that were not there before. I had to use the manual
update option under the switch to squeezebox option in advanced
settings.

Thank you so much. I have been trying to get this Ue radio converted
for about 4 months now.

Mnyb
2013-11-01 05:59:47 UTC
P Nelson wrote:
> If it was only that easy. I have been trying to convert a UE Smart
> Radio to a SB radio for over three months without success. Logitech
> has sent me three replacements as they suspected hardware problems. The
> latest replacement has also failed to convert. The trouble ticket has
> been open for a month and I am still waiting for a resolution from
> Logitech. Earlier this week, they asked me who is my Internet
> provider.
>
> The convertion works for some people, but I have no idea why it won't
> work for me.
>
> Paul

Heh how smart are these guys ( support ) instead of sending you 3 they
could have converted the original one for you and saved time and
money.....

If you suspect ISP related problems , walk over to a friendly neighbour
and see if they have a different ISP and try there .
This is probably true ,but I don't know why ,the upgrade process won't
work with all ISP .

Or try the manual way as outlined in another tread it can't go more
wrong can it ? And Logitech keeps sending them your way ?

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
P Nelson
2013-11-02 07:00:46 UTC
Mnyb wrote:
> Heh how smart are these guys ( support ) instead of sending you 3 they
> could have converted the original one for you and saved time and
> money.....

I asked for this option several times and requested the tech escalate
my request to higher levels for review. Each time the request was
denied.

Mr. Bill
2013-11-05 23:16:53 UTC
Just wanted to say that using my AT&T U-Verse ISP, I had a 100% failure
rate trying to update my UE Smart Radios to either the current UE
version (10.0.1) or converting to the Squeezebox format __*until*
Michael came up with the modified procedures to update the UE radio.
Previously I had to use a different ISP to update the radios.

I received another UE Smart Radio today (my 4th UE radio) and for the
first time using my U-Verse connection I was able to successfully update
the UE radio to the current UE version and then immediately convert the
radio to the familiar Squeezebox format using Michael's updated
procedures.

Thanks Michael for fixing this issue.

Bill

*Server:* Vortexbox on Intel Core 2 Duo > LMS v7.8 feeding the
following:
*Family Room:* Touch > Pioneer AV Receiver > Infinity Reference Speakers
x5
*Living Room:* Squeezebox Radio x2 (configured as separate left and
right)
*Master Bedroom:* UE Squeezebox Radio x2 (configured as separate left
and right)
*Study:* Touch > Sony AV Receiver > Infinity Reference Speakers x2
*Office:* UE Squeezebox Radio
*Controller:* Nextbook HD8 tablet, Orange Squeeze, *Spares:* Touch x1,
Radio x2
Mr. Bill's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=58928
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
castalla
2013-11-06 11:19:56 UTC
Okay - what do I choose to change to squeezebox?

Free Your Music

Update manually

???

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio + remote
Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug LMS + Squeezelite - Logitech Mini Boombox
speaker
Cubieboard + Fedora 18 + LMS 7.8 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100
bluetooth speaker
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers
castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2013-11-06 11:27:25 UTC
> Free Your Music
> Update manually

Free Your Music sounds much more fun than any manual work ;-).

Michael
castalla
2013-11-06 11:33:53 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > Free Your Music
> > Update manually
>
> Free Your Music sounds much more fun than any manual work ;-).
>
> --
>
> Michael

Sure does!

Thanks.

Dogberry2
2014-03-30 15:44:14 UTC
With the demise of the entire Logitech streaming audio species, I'm
planning to pick up some extra Radios for the garage, workshop, spares,
etc. I'm considering whether to buy original SB Radios, or UE Radios
which I can get at a somewhat lower price and then (I hope) convert to
SB so they'll integrate with the rest of my system. But before I buy UE,
I'd like to check in on the reliability of the conversion at this point.
I've read this thread, but there were clearly a number of problems, and
the latest post is pretty old now.

Can anyone confirm that 1) the UE-to-SB conversion is now reliable? And
2) that the converted Radio will then work exactly like any other SB
Radio?

Dogberry2's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18883
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2014-03-30 16:03:05 UTC
> Can anyone confirm that 1) the UE-to-SB conversion is now reliable? And

It's as reliable as an original SB Radio.

Yes. Plus it comes with a battery included.
Dogberry2
2014-03-30 16:57:23 UTC
Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thank you, Michael.

Arniceous
2014-05-07 17:49:47 UTC
Dogberry2 wrote:
> With the demise of the entire Logitech streaming audio species, I'm
> planning to pick up some extra Radios for the garage, workshop, spares,
> etc. I'm considering whether to buy original SB Radios, or UE Radios
> which I can get at a somewhat lower price and then (I hope) convert to
> SB so they'll integrate with the rest of my system. But before I buy UE,
> I'd like to check in on the reliability of the conversion at this point.
> I've read this thread, but there were clearly a number of problems, and
> the latest post is pretty old now.
>
> Can anyone confirm that 1) the UE-to-SB conversion is now reliable? And
> 2) that the converted Radio will then work exactly like any other SB
> Radio?

I just got off the phone with Logitech support very limited knowledge of
hardware if the internal antenna fails due to age on either unit there
is no service and or repair available. Its a shame that the market place
of certain countries example USA lacks in the desire for such technology
that Logitech has the project. I think the UE Speaker is a joke compared
to the WIFI Radio project. I have a smartphone yes casting to a speaker
is another method but conventional in a living room or kitchen or patio
party! :mad:

the migration to the squeeze box GUI is perfect however everything in
the UE GUI is the same just worded different or in a different sub
group. Those users that said it lacked in features don't use the Media
server apparently; for they exist in both radios and platforms. I'm
using them both they work fine.

As an alternative WIFI radio that is still making headway to date is
"Grace Audio" They have an array of units for every ones lifestyle.
Their "Mondo" rivals these products Logitech dropped.
http://gracedigital.com/internet-radio

At my best,

Arniceous Maximus - PC Solutions

Arniceous's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62899
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
castalla
2014-05-07 17:57:40 UTC
Arniceous wrote:
> I just got off the phone with Logitech support very limited knowledge of
> hardware if the internal antenna fails due to age on either unit there
> is no service and or repair available. Its a shame that the market place
> of certain countries example USA lacks in the desire for such technology
> that Logitech has the project. I think the UE Speaker is a joke compared
> to the WIFI Radio project. I have a smartphone yes casting to a speaker
> is another method but conventional in a living room or kitchen or patio
> party! :mad:
>
> the migration to the squeeze box GUI is perfect however everything in
> the UE GUI is the same just worded different or in a different sub
> group. Those users that said it lacked in features don't use the Media
> server apparently; for they exist in both radios and platforms. I'm
> using them both they work fine.
>
> As an alternative WIFI radio that is still making headway to date is
> "Grace Audio" They have an array of units for every ones lifestyle.
> Their "Mondo" rivals these products Logitech dropped.
> http://gracedigital.com/internet-radio
>
> At my best,
>
> Arniceous Maximus - PC Solutions

The Grace (and other Reciva based) radios can't compare to squeezeboxes.
They have none of the flexibility of options, etc. - and are totally
dependent on the Reciva database.

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Smart Radio
Arniceous
2014-05-07 19:02:50 UTC
LOL I prefer Logitech as well but its been DISCONTINUED! my point is if
someone wants a radio that has a warranty they must try an alternative.
Now if you thinkyou can get intouch with the top dogs at Logitech and
let them know that average Joes like ourselves are highly agitated at
them for abandoning the WIFI Radio market and to get it in gear and roll
out a 2015 model that would be great :D

Arniceous
2014-05-07 19:10:10 UTC
the UE Boom Speakers seem to be targeted to the younger crowed they were
missing with the wifi radios. Dropping the adult crowd with the money
was not a good strategic move on logitechs part. That's for sure!

castalla
2014-05-07 19:13:47 UTC
Arniceous wrote:
> LOL I prefer Logitech as well but its been DISCONTINUED! my point is if
> someone wants a radio that has a warranty they must try an alternative.
> Now if you thinkyou can get intouch with the top dogs at Logitech and
> let them know that average Joes like ourselves are highly agitated at
> them for abandoning the WIFI Radio market and to get it in gear and roll
> out a 2015 model that would be great :D

I know, but there are numerous alternative devices you can use as
squeezebox replacements.

fragfutter
2015-12-04 09:40:34 UTC
Just wanted to confirm that the transition of an UE-Radio to a
Squeezebox Radio worked flawlessly. Advances settings, switch to
squeezebox, free your music. Reboot, download, reboot, done.

sent from a computer using a keyboard
fragfutter's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=35184
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Oliverjames
2016-08-03 09:35:15 UTC
I bought a UE radio for my son. The Apps available suit his listening
style well. The only App missing is the one named Podcast that is
available with the Squeezebox setup. Are their any plans to add this to
the UE App list?

Oliverjames's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65123
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
karlek
2016-08-03 11:23:40 UTC
Oliverjames wrote:
> I bought a UE radio for my son. The Apps available suit his listening
> style well. The only App missing is the one named Podcast that is
> available with the Squeezebox setup. Are their any plans to add this to
> the UE App list?

As Michael Herger posted in another thread, Podcasts won't be
implemented as the UE is end of line.

karlek's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=64321
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
joad
2017-05-25 19:55:34 UTC
Hi, is it possible to do the "switch to squeezebox" without working
display?
Mine has the "with screen of death".

joad's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10944
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2017-05-26 05:30:31 UTC
> Hi, is it possible to do the "switch to squeezebox" without working
> display?
> Mine has the "with screen of death".

PM me the device's MAC address. I'll take care of it after the weekend.

Michael
joad
2017-05-30 14:57:35 UTC
Thanks,
the mac is: 00:04:20:2d:ec:70

/Johan

mherger
2017-05-30 15:40:42 UTC
You should now reboot your device. Unfortunately I'm not sure this will
work as expected, as you might need to follow some setup menus... Make
sure it's connected to ethernet so you don't have to set up wireless
networking. Please let me know if it works out. Otherwise I'll try to
figure out the steps you have to follow to go through the setup.

Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR
joad
2017-05-30 17:41:11 UTC
I manage to make the display work by disassembling and cooling the lcd
with cold-spray.
It worked so I could go through the guide logging in to mysqueezebox.com
but after reboot it is white one again.

Thanks

Michael Herger
2017-05-30 18:45:12 UTC
> It worked so I could go through the guide logging in to mysqueezebox.com
> but after reboot it is white one again.

But you can use it as a SB Radio now?

Michael
joad
2017-05-31 18:36:31 UTC
Yes, every think works fine eccept the display.And its easer to use SB
radio with iPeng.

Thanks,

/J

Michael Herger
2017-05-31 20:40:43 UTC
> Yes, every think works fine eccept the display.And its easer to use SB
> radio with iPeng.

Excellent, good to know. Have fun!

Michael
micw
2017-08-18 16:07:47 UTC
Before I pull the trigger on 2 used UE radio, I just wanna check if it's
still possible/easy to upgrade an UE radio to Squeezebox?
Thanks

Living Room: Transporter > Bladelius Tyr > Focal Electra 1007S
Kitchen: Duet > Audioengine 2
Bedroom: Duet reciever > NuForce Icon > Dali Lektor 1, Boom
Summerhouse: Duet reciever, Boom, Touch.
Ipeng, Ipeng for iPad, Squeezecommander Squeezepad
Server/Player: Various Raspberry Pi with Max2Play, Picoreplayer and
HiFiBerry.
LastFM
http://www.lastfm.se/user/micwi
micw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29435
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
garym
2017-08-18 16:22:43 UTC
micw wrote:
> Hi,
> Before I pull the trigger on 2 used UE radio, I just wanna check if it's
> still possible/easy to upgrade an UE radio to Squeezebox?
> Thanks

Yes. It's a menu item in the UE radio.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio (all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
micw

BertdeJong
2017-08-24 13:45:05 UTC
garym wrote:
> Yes. It's a menu item in the UE radio.

Hello I can find the menu item but it will not transfer to Logitech
(squeezebox) Radio. Can this have tot do with the previous owner still
linked tot the radio? (via uesmartradio.com) It will not do a software
update either.

Kind regards,
Bert

BertdeJong's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=44040
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
garym
2017-08-24 13:49:02 UTC
BertdeJong wrote:
> Hello I can find the menu item but it will not transfer to Logitech
> (squeezebox) Radio. Can this have tot do with the previous owner still
> linked tot the radio? (via uesmartradio.com) It will not do a software
> update either.
>
> Kind regards,
> Bert

could be. Not sure. Have you done a factory reset and connected the
radio to your own account?

BertdeJong
2017-08-24 14:15:05 UTC
garym wrote:
> could be. Not sure. Have you done a factory reset and connected the
> radio to your own account?

Thanks for your response, I am unable to connect it to my account as it
it is still connected to the former owners account, the pin does not get
accepted. And so far the former owner is not coöperating.

Michael Herger
2017-08-24 14:10:13 UTC
> Hello I can find the menu item but it will not transfer to Logitech
> (squeezebox) Radio. Can this have tot do with the previous owner still
> linked tot the radio? (via uesmartradio.com) It will not do a software
> update either.

Hi Bert - you might have hit an issue we have after we upgraded some of
our systems. I'll look into this asap. Thanks for the heads up!

Michael
BertdeJong
2017-08-24 14:20:09 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > Hello I can find the menu item but it will not transfer to Logitech
> > (squeezebox) Radio. Can this have tot do with the previous owner
> still
> > linked tot the radio? (via uesmartradio.com) It will not do a
> software
> > update either.
>
> Hi Bert - you might have hit an issue we have after we upgraded some of
>
> our systems. I'll look into this asap. Thanks for the heads up!
> --
>
> Michael

That would be really great, I always understood this to be a rather
straightforward swap. I am on firmware version 10.0.1 r16964 and it will
not upgrade nor swap to Squeezebox (and there is an exclamation mark
through the battery sign ;-(
Still love the Squeezebox though!

Thanks in advance

Michael Herger
2017-08-24 14:31:42 UTC
> That would be really great, I always understood this to be a rather
> straightforward swap. I am on firmware version 10.0.1 r16964 and it will

Are you in the US or EU?

> not upgrade nor swap to Squeezebox (and there is an exclamation mark
> through the battery sign ;-(

You'll need to charge the battery before you can continue with the
firmware update anyway.

Michael
BertdeJong
2017-08-24 14:55:33 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > That would be really great, I always understood this to be a rather
> > straightforward swap. I am on firmware version 10.0.1 r16964 and it
> will
>
> Are you in the US or EU?
>
> > not upgrade nor swap to Squeezebox (and there is an exclamation mark
> > through the battery sign ;-(
>
> You'll need to charge the battery before you can continue with the
> firmware update anyway.
>
> --
>
> Michael

I am in Europe (Netherlands), In am charging the battery now, no more
exclamation mark :-) I have already tried restore factory settings. In
the advanced menu the player is stated as 'registered'

durks
2017-08-24 19:52:24 UTC
BertdeJong wrote:
> I am in Europe (Netherlands), In am charging the battery now, no more
> exclamation mark :-) I have already tried restore factory settings. In
> the advanced menu the player is stated as 'registered'
>
> When I try an software update, it says: The check for new firmware
> failed Please try again. When I select 'free your musiic (for the
> Squeezebox upgrade) it says Can not register your machine for migration,
> try again" Update manualy gives the same response.

FWIW I've just got a brand-new UE radio, and am encountering exactly the
same problem when trying to upgrade to the Squeezebox firmware, (which
is how I found this thread.) I'll appreciate any help.

durks's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=57314
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
karlek
2017-08-24 20:12:08 UTC
Michael Herger has sorted this out (written in another thread).
The servers are starting, what will take its time. Have another try
tomorrow.

BertdeJong
2017-08-25 07:07:20 UTC
karlek wrote:
> Michael Herger has sorted this out (written in another thread).
> The servers are starting, what will take its time. Have another try
> tomorrow.

Hello Karlek,

I found the thread. The update is running now. Great!!

Thank you Michael! (also for Spotty now that I am on it)

Kind regards,

Bert de Jong

Michael Herger
2017-08-25 07:24:13 UTC
> I found the thread. The update is running now. Great!!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Michael
durks
2017-08-26 11:27:35 UTC
mherger wrote:

> Thanks for the confirmation!

I confirm my problem is now also fixed. Thanks very much for your help.

Bobsq
2018-01-03 16:47:15 UTC
I got a second hand UE radio.

I made a factory reset, connected to my network, and tried to switch to
squeezebox.

Checking network works, all the tests have passed.

But when I try to switch, I always get a failed to register.

Any idea what I can do? This box is useless to me in UE mode.

I'm in Belgium by the way, since some post imply it can be an ISP
problem.

Bobsq's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=40791
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2018-01-04 05:15:29 UTC
> But when I try to switch, I always get a failed to register.

What exact error message do you get? Do you get it from SB firmware or UE?

Feel free to pm me the Radio's MAC address. Maybe it's been registered
on mysb.com before.

Michael
Bobsq
2018-01-04 05:29:18 UTC
mherger wrote:
> > But when I try to switch, I always get a failed to register.
>
> What exact error message do you get? Do you get it from SB firmware or
> UE?

I get from UE firmware V 10.0.1 r16964:

"Failed to register your player for migration. Please try again."

> Feel free to pm me the Radio's MAC address. Maybe it's been registered
> on mysb.com before.

Doing that just after posting this, thanks!

Michael Herger
2018-01-04 05:49:36 UTC
> I get from UE firmware V 10.0.1 r16964:
>
> "Failed to register your player for migration. Please try again."

Ah, ok. That's good to know. I'll look into this.

Error messages are there for a reason. It's good to know them verbatim
;-). In this case it's not registration on mysb.com or uesr.com, but in
the configuration service which handles firmware up/downgrades in the
UESR world.

Michael
P Nelson
2013-07-31 02:35:02 UTC
pippin wrote:
> If you can see the other SBs on the Radio itself, the it did convert
> successfully.
> Or where do you mean you "see" the other players?

Out of the box, the EU Radio says firmware 10.0.0. When I select switch
to squeezebox, the display shows the logitech UE logo, but SB firmware
is not loaded. When it comes back it still says UE Smart Radio.

With the UE Smart radio firmware, if I select "my music' menu option, it
will show 'squeezebox Touch (USB)' and it will list the music on tiny
LMS on the Touch. However, I cannot get music to play. (I just get a
little circle that never stops buy the selection.) Also if I select
choose player, it will show the other SB radio and SB Touch. Apartently
some stuff is similar between UE and SB, but some is different.

I called the tech support and they think there is a problem with the
unit so they will send me another replacement unit.

I am trying to due it manually, but I am having some touble as I am just
not as computer savy as most people here on the forums.

Mr. Bill
2013-08-03 20:30:38 UTC
P Nelson wrote:
> Out of the box, the EU Radio says firmware 10.0.0. When I select switch
> to squeezebox, the display shows the logitech UE logo, but SB firmware
> is not loaded. When it comes back it still says UE Smart Radio.
>
> With the UE Smart radio firmware, if I select "my music' menu option, it
> will show 'squeezebox Touch (USB)' and it will list the music on tiny
> LMS on the Touch. However, I cannot get music to play. (I just get a
> little circle that never stops buy the selection.) Also if I select
> choose player, it will show the other SB radio and SB Touch. Apartently
> some stuff is similar between UE and SB, but some is different.
>
> I called the tech support and they think there is a problem with the
> unit so they will send me another replacement unit.
>
> I am trying to due it manually, but I am having some touble as I am just
> not as computer savy as most people here on the forums.
>
> Paul

Do you by chance have U-verse as your ISP? I had the exact same issue as
you (can't update to 10.0.1) and after trying to connect using a
different ISP the UE radio immediately asked if I wanted to update the
software. Update ran fine and the UE radio is now at 10.0.1 and my
problem with the UEML is also gone.

May be worth a try.

Bill

P Nelson
2013-08-05 14:43:41 UTC
Mr. Bill wrote:
> Do you by chance have U-verse as your ISP? I had the exact same issue as
> you (can't update to 10.0.1) and after trying to connect using a
> different ISP the UE radio immediately asked if I wanted to update the
> software. Update ran fine and the UE radio is now at 10.0.1 and my
> problem with the UEML is also gone.
>
> May be worth a try.
>
> Bill

I have DSLExtreme through Verizon. My problem sounds slightly
different. I was not trying to upgrade the UE software from 10.0.0 to
10.0.1, but trying to convert it to squeezebox software. The menu
option was there and it would start the process with a message, but when
it came back it was still the UE software.

Tech support said there was a problem with the unit, and to return it.
That is in process.

On another note the unit did play Internet radio and selelecting the
station was easy.

Mr. Bill
2013-08-05 17:16:03 UTC
P Nelson wrote:
> I have DSLExtreme through Verizon. My problem sounds slightly
> different. I was not trying to upgrade the UE software from 10.0.0 to
> 10.0.1, but trying to convert it to squeezebox software. The menu
> option was there and it would start the process with a message, but when
> it came back it was still the UE software.
>
> Tech support said there was a problem with the unit, and to return it.
> That is in process.
>
> On another note the unit did play Internet radio and selelecting the
> station was easy.
>
> Paul

Paul, Hi.

That was my ultimate goal also, convert a UE radio back to a Squeezebox
radio. I had the same issue that the UE radio would not upgrade to the
current version (10.0.1) or convert back to a Squeezebox radio but
didn't clarify that in my previous response. When I tried to convert
either of the two recently purchased UE radios the results were the same
using my U-verse ISP, I would get the option to convert to the
Squeezebox, select that option and the radio would immediately reboot
and come back up as a UE radio. Reading that trying a different ISP may
work (not sure why) I tried the neighbors U-verse with the same results,
no go. I then tried another friend who had an old DSL connection and I
was able to update both of the UE radios to the curent UE version
(10.0.1) and then take one of those UE radios and successfully convert
it to a Squeezebox radio (shows version 7.7.3) and all was well with the
world. The second UE radio was left a UE radio for the time being.

So, the point being that if you had another ISP to try it may be worth
the effort while you wait for your replacement radio to arrive. In my
case it was and I was able to update my 2 UE radios. However, I find it
interesting that I never had a problem previously updating my other 5
Squeezebox radios or the 2 Touch radios I have.

Bill

eap
2013-07-30 16:53:18 UTC
mherger wrote:
> Hello music streaming fans:
>
> When we introduced the Logitech UE Smart Radio last fall we received a
> lot of positive feedback on the simplicity of the new experience. For
> those music lovers who seek a great sounding, yet compact, radio to
> access their favorite Internet radio stations and music services, the
> Logitech UE Smart Radio definitely hit a sweet spot.
>
> A few months back – in the countries where we distribute Logitech UE
> Smart Radio – we gave Squeezebox Radio users the option to switch their
> Squeezebox Radios to the Logitech UE Smart Radio platform. Shortly
> after, we received feedback from some users that the Logitech UE Smart
> Radio platform didn’t support all the advanced functionality of the
> Squeezebox platform they were used to.
>
> To address this, starting today we now offer the option to switch
> Logitech UE Smart Radio software to Squeezebox. By doing so, our
> Squeezebox fans can now take advantage of the improved portability of
> the Logitech UE Smart Radio, while still enjoying the Squeezebox
> features they appreciate.
>
> To initiate the transition, simply navigate to the advanced settings on
> your Logitech UE Smart Radio and scroll down to select “Switch to
> Squeezebox.”
>
> In order to ensure our customers transition to the experience that best
> fits their needs, both update paths include a link to descriptions of
> the pros and cons of each transition. Please make sure you review these
> carefully before proceeding, but know you can always revert back to the
> Logitech UE Smart Radio platform anytime you’d like.
>
> Cheers, and happy streaming!
>
> The Logitech UE Smart Radio / Squeezebox team

I have a squeezebox radio (in the United States) purchased a couple of
years ago (I think). I never heard about this UE software until today.
So what's the difference? Why would I want to be on UE software or
squeezebox software (what are the features and functionality of one vs.
the other)? So far I've had no problems (I mainly listen to Pandora and
Sirius satellite via squeezebox radio).

eap's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=32788
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
toby10
2013-07-30 17:28:28 UTC
eap wrote:
> .... Why would I want to be on UE software or squeezebox software (what
> are the features and functionality of one vs. the other)?

Stay with SqueezeBox. The only real benefit to UE is the addition of
the iHeartRadio service. Everything else is pretty much the same as far
as services offered.
There are *many* draw backs in usage and customization with UE vs
SqueezeBox.

winsall
2013-08-22 07:12:58 UTC
toby10 wrote:
> Stay with SqueezeBox. The only real benefit to UE is the addition of
> the iHeartRadio service. Everything else is pretty much the same as far
> as services offered.
> There are *many* draw backs in usage and customization with UE vs
> SqueezeBox.

I disagree.....the Youtube option in UE is actually something that I
really wish existed in LMS. Just about any song you could ever think of
can be found using a search in Youtube. It is a very unappreciated
feature in UE that may actually be enough to make me settle for UE over
LMS for the long haul.

Am I missing a plugin that provides this option in LMS? If so, please
let me know! Thanks.

winsall's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14222
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
toby10
2013-08-22 11:13:17 UTC
winsall wrote:
> I disagree.....the Youtube option in UE is actually something that I
> really wish existed in LMS. Just about any song you could ever think of
> can be found using a search in Youtube.....

Sure you are not confusing YouTube with iHeartRadio? Or maybe confusing
SB LMS (which has YouTube) with UE?

pippin

jonathan.ibell
2013-07-30 18:35:51 UTC
pippin wrote:
> @jonathan: did you post this on the Logitech forum as well? I'm asking
> because I've seen a similar (yet not as detailed) comment there, too.

Hi there - no, I debated whether to post there, but decided to initially
try out here, given the official Logitech announcement (which I didn't
see on their website under the "UE" set of threads, but going by what
you indicated is probably posted there somewhere!).

Considering I had everything working for a few minutes indicates it's
fixable... but currently the radio's not doing what we bought it for. To
be honest, the Duet's not the most simple product, but once it's up and
running it's fine. Now I just hope to get the same out of this new
Radio!

Any ideas from anyone gratefully received!

pippin
2013-07-30 18:38:42 UTC
Here is certainly the better place to put it, I was just wondering
whether others have the same issue or I saw two reports on the same
incident.

Michael will probably have to have a look at this but I believe he's on
vacation right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

---
pippin
2013-07-31 02:26:50 UTC
This is a bit weird. It sounds like your Radio was still connecting to
the UE software update server and so it automatically downloaded and
installed the UE firmware again (UE Radios do NOT ask for confirmation
here). This would also explain why the player menu went away.
By holding RW while booting you actually reverted to an older firmware -
in the case the Squeezebox FW.

This is definitely not how it should be.

---
Rick_W
2013-08-06 07:45:28 UTC
Is it fair to say you need the latest ue software version to convert to
squeezebox I am getting one delivered today to replace a bricked radio
and really hope I can get it to work as a squeezebox

Rick_W's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=23220
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2013-08-06 07:58:02 UTC
> Is it fair to say you need the latest ue software version to convert to
> squeezebox I am getting one delivered today to replace a bricked radio
> and really hope I can get it to work as a squeezebox

I think the problem which has been reported her (not able to update
firmware at all, neither UE firmware, nor SB firmware) is related to an
issue which we've seen with UE SR before: sometimes the radio would fail
to contact the configuration host, which would tell it what firmware to
run. When this fails, the radio would just continue to run whatever it
has. Therefore such devices would never get a new firmware. Some people
could overcome this issue using a different network. We improved the
behaviour in 10.0.1 - alas this is of little help if your device fails to
get that firmware...

Should you face this issue, then please let me know. I've written a small
applet for the UE SR which has helped getting the latest firmware
installed for a few users.

Michael
Rick_W
2013-08-06 19:02:15 UTC
It just works thank you mr Logitech faith massively restored :)

Rick_W
2013-08-06 19:18:26 UTC
Although very very very happy it works is there any benefit for the ue
interface?

pippin

winsall
2013-08-22 12:51:59 UTC
pippin wrote:
> There is a YouTube plugin for LMS, too. But actually I wasn't aware that
> you can use YouTube with the UE Radio, how do I enable that?
>
> It's not in my list of services and I'm actually really surprised to
> hear that should work.
>
> You can install the LMS plugin under 3rd party plugins in
> "Settings->Plugins"

I have that plugin enabled but have never been able to find it on any of
my radios using LMS. When I got my UE Radio, it was in the menu and it
just worked. Reverted to Squeezebox firmware and lost it. Not sure
WTF....

garym
2013-08-22 13:04:41 UTC
winsall wrote:
> I have that plugin enabled but have never been able to find it on any of
> my radios using LMS. When I got my UE Radio, it was in the menu and it
> just worked. Reverted to Squeezebox firmware and lost it. Not sure
> WTF....

have you "ticked" the "show all 3rd party plugins" option in the plugins
page within LMS > SETTINGS > Plugins tab?

*Location 1:* VortexBox Appliance 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Transporter,
Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.7 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99027
Michael Herger
2013-08-22 15:45:26 UTC
FWIW: there's no official youtube integration for UE. I have no idea where
this comes from if you have it. In which UI do you see it?

Michael
pippin
2013-08-22 14:26:46 UTC
It's in MyApps.
I would just like to know where it's supposed to be on UE because I have
never seen it there and frankly I don't know how Logitech COULD have
provided it given YouTube's licensing

---
P Nelson
2013-08-26 14:39:26 UTC
My SB radio LCD failed so Logitech sent a UE radio as a replacement.
That UE radio failed to convert to SB firmware via the menu option.
Customer support said it was a hardware problem and to send it back.
The replacement for the replacement also fails to convert to SB firmware
via the menu. I contacted tech support a week ago and they had to
escalate the issue. I asked for them to send me a unit already
converted to SB radio.

As of this morning. I have not heard back from Logitech. I hope it did
not fall into the black hole zone.

Michael Herger
2013-08-26 15:42:27 UTC
> My SB radio LCD failed so Logitech sent a UE radio as a replacement.
> That UE radio failed to convert to SB firmware via the menu option.

Did it just not install the new firmware or how did it fail?

Unfortunately there's an issue in the factory firmware which caused this
behaviour under certain circumstances. The issue has been fixed - but it's
in a later firmware, which you obviously won't get when suffering from the
problem...

What you can try is the following:

- if you're using the Radio wirelessly, try using it on ethernet instead
- if that didn't help, ask a neighbour/friend/family whether you can use
his internet access (or try using your smartphone as an access point - if
that's an option you know). We've seen cases where a different internet
connection would "fix" the issue.
- if that still doesn't work or isn't an option, I'd have a solution which
requires _some_ manual work, but which did work for all cases where it was
required.

Good luck!

Michael
Mr. Bill
2013-08-26 16:39:05 UTC
P Nelson wrote:
> My SB radio LCD failed so Logitech sent a UE radio as a replacement.
> That UE radio failed to convert to SB firmware via the menu option.
> Customer support said it was a hardware problem and to send it back.
> The replacement for the replacement also fails to convert to SB firmware
> via the menu. I contacted tech support a week ago and they had to
> escalate the issue. I asked for them to send me a unit already
> converted to SB radio.
>
> As of this morning. I have not heard back from Logitech. I hope it did
> not fall into the black hole zone.
>
> Paul

Paul, let us know how this gets resolved as I had the same issue with 2
of my recently purchased UE radios in that they would not update or
convert to the Squeezebox software. In my case I was able to get them to
update and convert by using a different ISP which was a tip I found on
the official Logitech support form. So, it appears that this problem is
more widespread than just our UE radios.

What I don't understand is why using a differnt ISP would make a
difference as I was able to update my older genuine Squeezebox radios
numerous times without difficulity.

What would be interesting is if you could try to update the radio using
a different ISP and see if it was successful. However, in my case I had
to try several different ISP's before I got it to work.

Bill

Mnyb
2013-08-26 16:54:22 UTC
Mr. Bill wrote:
> Paul, let us know how this gets resolved as I had the same issue with 2
> of my recently purchased UE radios in that they would not update or
> convert to the Squeezebox software. In my case I was able to get them to
> update and convert by using a different ISP which was a tip I found on
> the official Logitech support form. So, it appears that this problem is
> more widespread than just our UE radios.
>
> What I don't understand is why using a differnt ISP would make a
> difference as I was able to update my older genuine Squeezebox radios
> numerous times without difficulity.
>
> What would be interesting is if you could try to update the radio using
> a different ISP and see if it was successful. However, in my case I had
> to try several different ISP's before I got it to work.
>
> Bill

A guess could be that's it is about DNS resolving in some funny way , a
differnt ISP mighty have differnt DNA servers .
So a thing to try could be a different DNS server in the router settings
for example googles DNS

Michael Herger
2013-08-27 06:59:51 UTC
> What I don't understand is why using a differnt ISP would make a
> difference as I was able to update my older genuine Squeezebox radios
> numerous times without difficulity.

I can give a little background for those interested.

The startup and connecting to server behaviour of a UESR is quite
different from the SBR. While the SBR would always connect to the
hard-coded nost named baby.mysqueezebox.com, UESR is a bit smarter.
Connecting an SBR to a different server (eg. test.mysb.com) has always
been a pain, as you had to either modify the /etc/hosts file on the
device, or manipulate some local DNS to make baby.mysb.com point to that
other host instead. UESR otoh first connects to a config server which
would tell it what server to connect to and what firmware to use. This
allowed us to easily flip players from one backend to another for testing
purposes, or could be used for load-balancing. Here's the full URL to get
an idea of how that works:

http://config.logitechmusic.com/config/id/00:04:20:00:00:00?firmware=10.0.0

(use your own MAC address and firmware version to get "your" configuration)

Unfortunately the factory firmware wasn't very robust wrt. to this
request: timeout was too short, and it didn't re-try. Therefore it would
never get a firmware update whatsoever if it timed out for whatever
reason. DNS being slow might be one reason, a slow DHCP server in your LAN
might be another one. Fact is that many users facing this issue were able
to update using a different network. And the behaviour was improved in
firmware version 10.0.1.

In the case of a UESR -> SBR migration, the config host would tell the
player to install a SBR firmware image. Once this has happened it's
behaving like a SBR. Therefore this process is suffering from the same
limitations as updating the UESR's firmware update.

I have written a simple applet which would allow to force a new request
for the above URL at any time. But as you might know, installing an applet
on a UESR isn't as easily possible as on a SBR. Therefore it might be
easier to test the neighbour's network trick. If that fails, please feel
free to drop me a note. I can send the applet with instructions how to
manually install it on the UESR (requires some rather easy ssh and command
line actions).

Michael
pippin
2013-08-26 18:44:53 UTC
I believe the issue is that the switch to the Squeezebox FW only work is
you have the latest version of the UE firmware installed.
The UE radio should update automatically to that one but this procedure
seems to fail in some setups. And _this_ seems to be provider or
router-related.

---
Michael Herger
2013-08-27 07:01:00 UTC
> I believe the issue is that the switch to the Squeezebox FW only work is
> you have the latest version of the UE firmware installed.

No, it would work with the factory firmware. But if your radio fails to
update to the latest UESR firmware, then it very likely will fail to do
the migration as well. See my previous post.

--

Michael