[SlimDevices: Radio] Squeezebox Radio Podcast Problem
Shadow
2017-01-08 17:00:42 UTC
I've been using the Squeezebox Radio with the stand-alone podcast app
for a few years without any issues (not using LMS). Recently one of my
podcasts is returning a 403 error after selecting the episode from the
provided list. Other podcasts are working fine.

The RSS feed for this podcast is at
http://feeds.feedburner.com/marklevinshow/MLAR

I can access this through other platforms such as my computer and
Android phone using the Dogcatcher app but Squeezebox will no longer
connect successfully. I also tried using the TuneIn Radio app on the
Squeezebox Radio for this podcast and receive the 403 error that way as
well.

Any thoughts on what may have changed to cause the incompatibility?
I've also wondered if switching to the UE Radio software might help, but
reading the forums it appears that podcasts aren't supported on that
platform at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shadow's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=66488
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
garym
2017-01-08 17:23:38 UTC
I've been lately having podcast problems with certain podcasts.
Sometimes they never work, other times I can try repeatedly and they
eventually work. There are some other threads on this. Some are issues
related to https:// vs http://, but in some cases this is not the source
of the problem. I haven't deeply explored, but one of those threads I
started because of problems with the Diane Rhem's podcast that quit
working. Others could confirm that they couldn't get it to work either.
But like you, the podcast worked fine on my PC, iphone (using iphone
app) etc.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
Shadow
2017-01-08 18:21:07 UTC
Thanks for the feedback Gary. I did review the posts concerning https,
but they seemed to be related to LMS. I've not used LMS so don't know
if the https issue is relevant to the stand-alone player. With the
issues you've been having, did you get the 403 error?

I followed the RSS feeds through the xml file and noted that the xml
link does not use https, but the landing page is https.

Link in XML file:
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/marklevinshow/MLAR/~3/itomROLua5s/5469350-1-6-17-mark-levin-audio-rewind

Connects to:
https://audioboom.com/posts/5469350-1-6-17-mark-levin-audio-rewind?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+marklevinshow%2FMLAR+%28The+Official+Mark+Levin+Show+Audio+Rewind%29

I'm not sure how feedproxy does the translation of the URL.

In any case it has worked flawlessly up until the past week or so. I
can't see any changes in the xml file but wonder if something changed in
hosting or format around the first of the year.

Still working on it and appreciate any further direction.

garym
2017-01-08 19:21:46 UTC
Post by Shadow
[...]
I'm not one of the technical folks on this forum so we've already
exhausted my knowledge. But *my understanding* is that the https issue
could likely also affect those not using LMS. Because recall, that
mysqueezebox.com is essentially LMS "in the cloud". So I'm assuming that
the issue could equally affect mysqueezebox.com. In my own case, using
LMS 7.8 on linux machine (Vortexbox), with no changes in LMS version, no
changes in RSS feed, no changes in URL, I still have some podcasts that
used to work and now don't.

I don't always get 403 error. I mostly have the issue where I can see
the podcast, click on it, see the episodes, click on one, and then it
will try to play (with no sound) for maybe 15 seconds then the timer
goes back to zero.

Michael Herger
2017-01-10 07:53:45 UTC
Post by Shadow
I've been using the Squeezebox Radio with the stand-alone podcast app
for a few years without any issues (not using LMS). Recently one of my
podcasts is returning a 403 error after selecting the episode from the
provided list. Other podcasts are working fine.
Many services have moved to streaming over secured SSL/HTTPS connections
only. But the SB isn't capable to do so. Are you using mysb.com only? No
LMS involved?
Michael
Shadow
2017-01-10 14:40:36 UTC
Hi Michael,

I'm using mysb.com with the Podcast app. I don't use LMS.

Thanks.

bpa
2017-01-11 09:56:13 UTC
Post by Shadow
provided list. Other podcasts are working fine.
Many services have moved to streaming over secured SSL/HTTPS connections
only. But the SB isn't capable to do so. Are you using mysb.com only? No
LMS involved?
A lot of https podcast also play with just changing https to http -
could mysb.com not try this as there is no point trying a https url with
an SB player using mysb.com

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
Michael Herger
2017-01-11 10:25:15 UTC
Post by bpa
A lot of https podcast also play with just changing https to http -
could mysb.com not try this as there is no point trying a https url with
an SB player using mysb.com
That's default behaviour (and has been so for years). But more and more
offerings insist in using https.
Michael
bpa
2017-01-12 09:29:10 UTC
I looked at the RSS for the URL you posted
I found the most recent URL for a podcast which was
https://audioboom.com/posts/5485799-1-11-17-mark-levin-audio-rewind.mp3?source=rss&stitched=1

I then pasted this URL into LMS Tune in and it plays OK on LMS 7.8.x
http://audioboom.com/posts/5485799-1-11-17-mark-levin-audio-rewind.mp3

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
bpa
2017-01-12 13:14:57 UTC
If I create a Favorite with this Mark Levin Podcast URL
https://audioboom.com/channels/3996073.rss.
It will show all the podcast as a Favorite and with the hack below they
are playable on SB Receiver.
Horrible hack to play the https URL in LMS 7.8

Added line prefixed by "+"

In routine handleFeed line 604 in file Slim/Web/XMLBrowser.pm

Code:
--------------------

# Podcast enclosures
if ( my $enc = $streamItem->{'enclosure'} ) {
$url = $enc->{'url'};
+ $url =~ s/^https:\/\//http:\/\//;
}

--------------------

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
Shadow
2017-01-13 02:40:53 UTC
Thanks for the feedback.

bpa, does your proof of concept "hack" require LMS or does it work with
the SB Radio only?

I might consider taking this on if it does what I need since Podcasts
are the main reason I use the SB Radio.

Thanks again.

bpa
2017-01-13 09:33:11 UTC
Post by Shadow
Thanks for the feedback.
The main purpiose of the proof of concept was to show that
1. You stated that URL did not work using http - this is wrong or you
misunderstood my suggestion.
2. the statement by mherger about using http instead of https "that's
default behaviour (and has been so for years). But more and more
offerings insist in using https." is clearly not working in this case.

My proof of concept was to show that by replacing https by http for
podcasts - it is likely that many podcasts will still play.
Post by Shadow
bpa, does your proof of concept "hack" require LMS or does it work with
the SB Radio only?
My hackj is needed I don't understand why current LMS behaviour as
expected by Michael (replace https by http) does not work.

It is likely this hack will not work for all podcasts.
1. If you are using SB Radio with mysb.com then hack or similar has to
be implemented in mysb.com
2. If you are using Touch with its inbuilt LMS - then it should be
possible to issue a patch for this specific issue.
3. If you are using an SB Player with latest LMS 7.9 in a local server -
then you don't need the hack as I think the LMS will handle https
(probably via proxied satreamign)
4. This hack is needed if you want to use 7.9 with direct play of
streams which are indicated to be https
5. This hack is needed to work with LMS 7.8.*

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
mpower9
2017-04-10 04:55:37 UTC
I can get podcasts on my phone using podcast apps, but they don't work
on my SB radio using msb.com. I tried a suggestion on another thread
that we use URLs with https:// and just drop the "s".

I tried this on http://feeds.feedburner.com/jimhightower . It did not
work.

Is there ever going to be a fix for this? :(

mpower9's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33930
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
bpa
2017-04-10 12:00:54 UTC
Post by mpower9
I can get podcasts on my phone using podcast apps, but they don't work
on my SB radio using msb.com. I tried a suggestion on another thread
that we use URLs with https:// and just drop the "s".
I tried this on http://feeds.feedburner.com/jimhightower . It did not
work.
Is there ever going to be a fix for this? :(
What version of LMS are you using ?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
garym
2017-04-10 12:05:38 UTC
Post by bpa
What version of LMS are you using ?
it appears he is not using LMS at all. He is using mysqueezebox.com with
radio.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
bpa
2017-04-10 12:44:21 UTC
Post by garym
it appears he is not using LMS at all. He is using mysqueezebox.com with
radio.
Thanks - I should have read the post in more detail.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
Michael Herger
2017-04-11 04:34:51 UTC
Post by mpower9
I can get podcasts on my phone using podcast apps, but they don't work
on my SB radio using msb.com. I tried a suggestion on another thread
that we use URLs with https:// and just drop the "s".
I tried this on http://feeds.feedburner.com/jimhightower . It did not
work.
Is there ever going to be a fix for this? :(
There won't be a solution for mysb.com only users: the problem is in the
players' firmwares. For older players (Classic, Boom, Transporter) it
might technically impossible to fix it, and for the newers, well, it's
simply very unlikely going to happen.

The simplest way I'm seeing is to get a Raspberry Pi, install LMS on it,
and use it to proxy those streams for you.
Michael
mpower9
2017-04-17 00:56:10 UTC
Post by Michael Herger
Post by Michael Herger
The simplest way I'm seeing is to get a Raspberry Pi, install LMS on
it,
and use it to proxy those streams for you.
Michael
Good grief! I'm a little old lady. If I want to run this podcast off
another gadget, I can run it off my phone or tablet plugged into my SB
radio. I don't need to build another gadget.

I fear what you are telling me is that the useful life of my squeezebox
coming to an end and that it is not going to be supported as the
technology evolves.

cathcam
2017-06-22 04:42:07 UTC
Post by mpower9
Good grief! I'm a little old lady. If I want to run this podcast off
another gadget, I can run it off my phone or tablet plugged into my SB
radio. I don't need to build another gadget.
I fear what you are telling me is that the useful life of my squeezebox
coming to an end and that it is not going to be supported as the
technology evolves.
That's a fair summary. There are two parts to you product, the
squeezebox and the mysqueezebox service run by Logitech. Micheal, and
employee of Logitech says that the solution to you problem requires a
fix to both parts of the product, and thats not likely to happen.

Logitech abandoned the Squeezebox product line some years ago, so this
should not be a surprise. I'm grateful for all the help and support we
get here in the circumstances.

---------------------------
http://markcathcart.com/about

Running a ReadyNAS NVX LMS Server, currently 7.9.0; Transporter(Living
Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom),
(2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage).
Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Squeeze Ctrl app on Android.
cathcam's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=43414
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
Shadow
2017-07-08 15:00:04 UTC
Post by cathcam
That's a fair summary. There are two parts to you product, the
squeezebox and the mysqueezebox service run by Logitech. Micheal, and
employee of Logitech says that the solution to you problem requires a
fix to both parts of the product, and thats not likely to happen.
Logitech abandoned the Squeezebox product line some years ago, so this
should not be a surprise. I'm grateful for all the help and support we
get here in the circumstances.
Any chance that the firmware will be released to the open source
community so it can be maintained and updated? There are still a lot of
interesting things that could be done with this platform so it would be
a shame to see it die.

Maybe Google Home is the simple replacement though.

Michael Herger
2017-07-08 15:42:11 UTC
Post by Shadow
Any chance that the firmware will be released to the open source
community so it can be maintained and updated?
Unlikely to happen. Parts of the firmware are licensed code, therefore
can't be released. Plus ip3k firmware needs rather expensive commercial
tools. And to find someone able to build the firmware is even more
unlikely... I'm certainly no expert when it comes to firmware builds.
But a few weeks back I spent several days trying, and failed miserably.
Post by Shadow
There are still a lot of
interesting things that could be done with this platform so it would be
a shame to see it die.
Most things can be done server side. But you'll have to run LMS. Which
should be the least of a problem if you even consider building firmware.

And some things can be done by modifying the firmware. Triode somehow
managed to install an alternative kernel on the device...
Michael
John Stimson
2017-07-16 18:49:19 UTC
What is the current state of support for https podcast indexes and https
podcast streams, in Logitech Media Server 7.9?

I have downloaded and installed the 7.9 nightly release that was current
as of yesterday (Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1499900819 @ Sat
Jul 15 04:07:35 UTC 2017).

I enabled the Podcasts (2.0) plugin. I have set the msqueezebox.com
settings to not synchronize podcast listings with my local server.
I am adding the podcasts in the [podcasts] tab of the settings window.
I am interacting with the Podcasts entry under the My Apps menu in the
LMS web interface home page.

Some podcasts work fine.

There are two that exhibit different problems:

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=344098539

Selecting this podcast results in the log message:

Code:
--------------------
[17-07-16 11:17:34.5696] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/npr-344098539/npr.mc.tritondigital.com/WAITWAIT_PODCAST/media/anon.npr-mp3/npr/waitwait/2017/07/20170715_waitwait_wwdtmpodcast170715.mp3?orgId=1&d=2964&p=344098539&story=537329216&t=podcast&e=537329216&ft=pod&f=344098539: Connect timed out: .

--------------------

The episodes are displayed with icons.

Pressing play for an episode results in the log entry:

Code:
--------------------
[17-07-16 11:19:15.5320] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/npr-344098539/npr.mc.tritondigital.com/WAITWAIT_PODCAST/media/anon.npr-mp3/npr/waitwait/2017/07/20170715_waitwait_wwdtmpodcast170715.mp3?orgId=1&d=2964&p=344098539&story=537329216&t=podcast&e=537329216&ft=pod&f=344098539: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:19:15.6806] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/npr-344098539/npr.mc.tritondigital.com/WAITWAIT_PODCAST/media/anon.npr-mp3/npr/waitwait/2017/07/20170715_waitwait_wwdtmpodcast170715.mp3?orgId=1&d=2964&p=344098539&story=537329216&t=podcast&e=537329216&ft=pod&f=344098539: Connect timed out: .
--------------------

Marketplace with Kai Ryssdal
https://feeds.publicradio.org/public_feeds/marketplace-pm/rss/rss

Selecting the podcast results in the following log entries, then the
episode list is displayed with titles only, no icons:

Code:
--------------------
[17-07-16 11:21:11.9014] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/14/pm_20170714_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.0401] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/13/pm_20170713_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.1863] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/12/pm_20170712_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.3280] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/11/pm_20170711_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.4686] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/10/pm_20170710_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.6122] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/07/pm_20170707_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.7590] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/06/pm_20170706_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:12.8984] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/05/pm_20170705_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.0419] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/04/pm_20170704_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.1847] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/03/pm_20170703_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.3239] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/30/pm_20170630_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.4634] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/29/pm_20170629_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.6059] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/28/pm_20170628_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.7507] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/27/pm_20170627_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:13.8958] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/26/pm_20170626_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.0364] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/23/pm_20170623_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.1780] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/22/pm_20170622_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.3218] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/21/pm_20170621_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.4618] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/20/pm_20170620_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.6004] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/19/pm_20170619_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.7433] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/16/pm_20170616_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:14.8851] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/15/pm_20170615_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
[17-07-16 11:21:15.0263] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (193) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, https://play.podtrac.com/APM-Marketplace/play.publicradio.org/rss/d/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/06/14/pm_20170614_pod_64.mp3: Connect timed out: .
--------------------

Pressing play on an episode displays the above messages again in the
log, shows the episode in the playlist, but it does not play and the
counter does not move.

If I enter the same podcast into LMS with the https changed to http in
the URL, I get similar behavior when I try to open the podcast list of
episodes. However, when I press play on an episode, the episode is
added to the playlist as now playing, and the time counter starts
counting, but there is no sound. After a few seconds, the following
message appears in the log:

Code:
--------------------
[17-07-16 11:39:00.7044] Slim::Player::Song::open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [https://download.publicradio.org/podcast/marketplace/pm/2017/07/14/pm_20170714_pod_64.mp3?srcid=rss&listeningSessionID=5952f6ddb508da80_1620929_NVKjIAzn__0000000oILd].
--------------------

Any ideas how to fix either of these? Do I need to use the "hack"
described earlier in this thread to convert the requested episode URLs
from https to http? How much longer is that likely to work?

John Stimson's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=218
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
John Stimson
2017-07-16 20:04:25 UTC
Both of the podcast problems I described in the previous post are fixed
with the s/https/http/ patch described on page 2 of this thread.

I am still having trouble with Science Friday,
https://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode

When I try to add the podcast URL in the Podcasts tab of the web
interface Settings page of LMS, the log spits out:

Code:
--------------------
[17-07-16 12:53:00.2519] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (310) Error: getting http://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode
Connect timed out:
[17-07-16 12:53:00.2521] Slim::Plugin::Podcast::Settings::__ANON__ (119) Error validating feed http://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode: Connect timed out:
--------------------

The Podcast is not added to my list of podcasts whether I use:
https://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode
http://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode
http://www.sciencefriday.com/audio/scifriaudio.xml

The only difference is the URL shown in the log entries.

bpa
2017-07-16 20:13:59 UTC
Post by John Stimson
Both of the podcast problems I described in the previous post are fixed
with the s/https/http/ patch described on page 2 of this thread.
I am still having trouble with Science Friday,
https://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/podcast/podcast-episode.
The fix is gave is a crude stoipgap hack for those sites which still
support "http://" in parallel with "https://" - the sciencefriday only
support https even if you give http and so it will not work.

What version of LMS are you running ? If not 7.9.1 - upgrade.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
John Stimson
2017-07-16 20:56:41 UTC
Post by bpa
The fix is gave is a crude stoipgap hack for those sites which still
support "http://" in parallel with "https://" I understand that, which is why I wondered how much longer it's going to
work in my first post.
Post by bpa
- the sciencefriday only support https even if you give http and so it
will not work. Would that prevent the server from adding the URL to its list of
podcasts? With the other podcasts, I could at least add them to my
podcasts list even without the s/http/https/ kluge.
Post by bpa
What version of LMS are you running ? If not 7.9.1 - upgrade. I'd also
try the "proxied streaming" method for the player (Web UI
Settings/Player/Audio)I'm running the nightly build that I downloaded yesterday. For the
exact version, see my first post.

The result of switching the players to proxied streaming, and removing
the s/http/https/ kluge, is that Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me still plays,
but Marketplace does not. It eliminates the error messages when I pull
up the list of Marketplace episodes, but when I play an episode the
timer counts but there is no sound.

John Stimson
2017-07-16 21:12:30 UTC
Strangely, proxied streaming also doesn't work when I use the http/https
kluge and try to play a Marketplace podcast episode. It only plays if I
have direct streaming and use the hack to change https to http.

Bassman
2017-07-22 22:19:14 UTC
For SciFri, I think the problem is them, not SB.

I have on my Podcast List 4 Podcast paths for this: the original, the
two listed above + this RSS:
https://sciencefriday.libsyn.com/rss

At various times, using either my Boom or my Baby Radio, there will be a
"redirect limit exceeded" message. On the Remote control app when logged
into MySB, all of them have a listing and I can play from there. On the
unit displays, the RSS listing works and even shows the right icon.

For Wait Wait, I have this listing:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=344098539

Bassman's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36373
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
John Stimson
2017-07-23 01:09:26 UTC
Post by Bassman
For SciFri, I think the problem is them, not SB.
I have on my Podcast List 4 Podcast paths for this: the original, the
https://sciencefriday.libsyn.com/rssThat works fine with the Podcast 2.0 plugin from the server. Thanks!
A new problem is that the Marketplace podcasts play fine when started
from the web interface, and the indexes show up fine in My
Apps->Podcasts on the device menus, but they don't play when started
from the device. I need to look at the logs when that happens.

usc95
2017-07-23 03:37:49 UTC
Hi John,

I know you are looking to fix the podcast plugin but for listening to
Marketplace you can use the TuneIn app as it shows up there a long with
recent episodes. I have been listening to Marketplace this way for a
while now. You can use this until the podcast problems get sorted.

usc95's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=59694
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
usc95
2017-07-23 03:41:24 UTC
I just checked and both Science Friday and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me are
on TuneIn as well. Even if the podcasts doesn't get fixed you won't have
to miss a show!

Oliverjames
2017-09-12 10:31:45 UTC
Post by usc95
I just checked and both Science Friday and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me are
on TuneIn as well. Even if the podcasts doesn't get fixed you won't have
to miss a show!
I concur, the Tunein App allows one to search for and save many popular
podcasts as favourites. These can then be played on the SB via
Mysqueezebox.com.

Oliverjames's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65123
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
creosotepost
2017-12-25 04:35:48 UTC
I have come down with the same problem with podcasts starting to timeout
immediately. I've tried using MSB.com and the local podcasts plugin.
I've also tried pointing in the LMS settings to CCProxy running on my
computer. My LMS is on a Synology DS1010+ - 7.9.0. I doesn't sound like
upgrading to 7.9.1 works either? I just wanted to verify. I always seem
to have issues when upgrading and everything is working fine besides
this issue.

The only thing I don't like about TuneIn is the number of clicks it
takes to get to a podcast. I can't favorite any menu from within the app
(so it's TuneIn > Favorites > Podcasts > [podcast name] > Recent
Episodes > [episode]) - ugh.

Thanks for any advice!

creosotepost's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36796
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
DonP
2018-01-02 17:19:57 UTC
I've started having similar problems with podcasts timing out on
connect. In my case nothing hosted by relay.fm is playable anymore via
mysb.com. Looks like it's the https issue.

DonP's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=53133
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
malcolm4
2018-01-10 22:26:44 UTC

I'm running LMS 7.9.1 - 1515516449
with a Boom and a SB Radio.
Most of my podcasts are still working but the one I recently added is
not.
I added the podcast http://feeds.wnyc.org/thispodcasthasfleas
which I note does not have "https"

The episodes all show up in the LMS WebUI.

However when I try to play them, either from the WebUI or the SBRadio, I
get no sound. The track timer shows 0:01 through 0:04 and then resets. I
checked the log:

Code:
--------------------
[18-01-09 21:39:11.6423] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (239) Invalid XML feed
[18-01-09 21:39:11.6428] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (266) XML/JSON parse error: Invalid XML feed
[18-01-09 21:39:11.6434] Slim::Buttons::XMLBrowser::gotError (242) Error: While retrieving [http://feeds.wnyc.org/thispodcasthasfleas]: [Failed to parse]
[18-01-09 21:39:15.7428] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for xml playback for [http://feeds.wnyc.org/thispodcasthasfleas]
[18-01-09 21:39:23.2465] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for xml playback for [http://feeds.wnyc.org/thispodcasthasfleas]
[18-01-10 16:46:11.7153] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (239) Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:11.7248] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (266) XML/JSON parse error: Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:24.7791] Slim::Formats::RemoteStream::open (78) Error: Couldn't create socket binding to with timeout: 15 - Invalid argument
[18-01-10 16:46:24.7794] Slim::Player::Song::open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [https://audio.wnyc.org/fleas/fleas120817_episode6.mp3?listeningSessionID=5a4c50680bb48561_670021_GCCHp3fy__0000000clmm].
[18-01-10 16:46:29.9124] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (239) Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:29.9126] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (266) XML/JSON parse error: Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:35.4806] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (239) Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:35.4808] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (266) XML/JSON parse error: Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:43.1529] Slim::Formats::RemoteStream::open (78) Error: Couldn't create socket binding to with timeout: 15 - Invalid argument
[18-01-10 16:46:43.1531] Slim::Player::Song::open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [https://audio.wnyc.org/fleas/fleas120617_episode4.mp3?listeningSessionID=5a4c50680bb48561_670039_MRWxi88E__0000000clom].
[18-01-10 16:46:49.4206] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (239) Invalid XML feed
[18-01-10 16:46:49.4210] Slim::Formats::XML::gotViaHTTP (266) XML/JSON parse error: Invalid XML feed
--------------------

malcolm4's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20075
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
bpa
2018-10-17 11:32:51 UTC
Post by malcolm4
Hi,
I'm running LMS 7.9.1 - 1515516449
with a Boom and a SB Radio.
Most of my podcasts are still working but the one I recently added is
not.
I added the podcast http://feeds.wnyc.org/thispodcasthasfleas
which I note does not have "https"
If you look at this feed in a browser - all the mp3 podcast have https
URLs.

There have been incremental changes needed to LMS to support https as
different variations are discovered (e.g. http redirected to https
URLs). Upgrade to latest 7.9.2 LMS to check if the issue with this
feed has not already been solved.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
John Stimson
2018-02-16 20:05:02 UTC
Post by Oliverjames
I concur, the Tunein App allows one to search for and save many popular
podcasts as favourites. These can then be played on the SB via
Mysqueezebox.com.
Pretty much all the public radio podcasts I listen to have crapped out
as far as playability through the LMS Podcasts plugin. Connection
failed for the episodes, and some of the RSS feed URLs fail to parse
when trying to add them to the podcast list.

So with several people saying that TuneIn works, I decided to figure out
what the heck TuneIn is and how to use it. And I think you don't even
need to use Mysqueezebox.com. Here are the steps I took:

Go to https://tunein.com/ and sign up for an account. You do not need
to subscribe, just get a username and password.

Open your LMS settings.
Go to the Plugins tab. Make sure that Radio (v1.0) is enabled.
Go to the Advanced tab. Open the pulldown and select TuneIn Radio and
type in your TuneIn radio username/email.
Go to the Player tab. Select the player you want to use. Select the
Audio settings menu for the player. Set Streaming Method to Direct
Streaming.

(I think this step is unnecessary, but you can try it if you have
trouble: Go to www.mysqueezebox.com, log into your account, choose the
My Apps tab, pick TuneIn Radio, and enter your TuneIn username and
password.)

subscribe to and open it. Click the heart icon to make it a favorite.
Repeat for all the podcasts you like.

On your device, go to the Radio menu which should have this icon:
24577
All the favorites you selected in the previous step should show up under
the "My Presets" menu.
If there is no Radio menu item on your device, look at the Player tab in
the LMS settings and see if you can add it to the menu.

This worked for me with server version: Logitech Media Server Version:
7.9.1 - 1518758400 @ Fri Feb 16 05:30:23 UTC 2018
And a Squeezebox Radio.
Note: I have to start the episodes from the player menu. When I start
the episodes from the LMS web interface, I get "connection timed out".
Fortunately, I *want* to start the episodes from the player!

|Filename: tuneinradio.png |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24577|

John Stimson
2018-10-17 02:06:56 UTC
Now I'm encountering podcasts on TuneIn that don't work. Very similar
error messages to the directly accessed podcasts I had trouble with.
"Warning: stream failed to open"

The ones I'm having trouble with are any of The Economist podcasts
(specifically, the "free" streams), and "99 Percent Invisible".

Paul Webster
2018-10-17 10:38:43 UTC
Most likely reason is podcast provider moving to use HTTPS rather than
HTTP to deliver the content and you using MySqueeze or an old local LMS
without good SSL support.

An example
https://media.acast.com/theeconomistallaudio/thesecrethistoryofthefuture/thesecrethistoryofthefuture-aclockinthesky/media.mp3

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin
Paul Webster's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=105
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
bpa
2017-07-22 22:28:45 UTC
Post by John Stimson
Strangely, proxied streaming also doesn't work when I use the http/https
kluge and try to play a Marketplace podcast episode. It only plays if I
have direct streaming and use the hack to change https to http.
IIRC since the hack is only so that the http URL can be passed to a
player for direct playing - it would have no effect on proxied playing.
Proxied streaming measn LMS gets data first and then apssed to player. I
thought when https support was added to LMS in 7.9.1 - proxied stream
should also be able to handle https.

To understand the issues you need to test URLs (e.g. with https and
http) with something like mplayer (or possibly wget) where http
redirection etc. can be logged and analysed.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761
adamlog
2017-04-10 13:57:54 UTC
Hey, I do not use LMS too and everything works okay. Have you solved
your problem?

adamlog's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=66782
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106761